Did you know that the average daily price for traveling across the US is $224? With costs so high, not everyone can afford to visit all the American marvels.
Still, there’s no need to despair if the United States is on your traveling bucket list. In this article, we have put together a list of the cheapest places to travel to in the USA. With top spots like Pensacola FL and Williamsburg VA, we have a destination for everyone.
Feel the beat in Memphis or hike in Sedona. Not only you’ll love all our suggestions, but you’ll maintain a healthy budget for your next trip, too, with these affordable travel destinations.
1. Albuquerque, New Mexico
Have you dreamed of a vacation in the desert? Albuquerque perfect for those looking for family time and outdoor trips. There are many attractions and tours to choose from in Albuquerque has. Experience breathtaking views on the aerial tramway Sandia Peak, go on a hot air balloon ride, or see some exotic animals at the BioPark Zoo.
Check out the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center and the Old Town. There are half-day and full-day tours available to visitors.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $80 per person
- Best For: Outdoor and family trips
- Cheap Stays: Econo Lodge Old Town Albuquerque,Howard Johnson by Wyndham Albuquerque Midtown
- Cheap Eats: Frontier Restaurant, Padilla’s Mexican Kitchen, Pollito con Papas
2. Buffalo, New York
If you want a vacation on a budget in a big city, Buffalo is your place. With its city attractions like the Botanical Gardens, Naval and Military Park, Coca-Cola baseball field, Buffalo Zoo, and Shea’s Performing Arts Center, there are lots to see and do in this northern American city.
For architecture and history enthusiasts, visit the Graycliff Estate and Martin House Complex of Frank Lloyd Wright, and the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site.
Plan an extra day trip to Niagara Falls – it’s only half an hour away.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $120 per person
- Best For: City lovers and history buffs
- Cheap Stays: Lenox Hotel and Suites, Wyndham Garden Buffalo Downtown
- Cheap Eats: Sophia’s Restaurant, Lloyd Taco Factory, or Amy’s Place
3. Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston is a great holiday destination if you are traveling in the USA on a budget. With its Southern flare, this seaport town is famous for its cuisine, architecture, and culture. While in Charleston, be sure to visit the French Quarter, Battery and White Point Gardens, Sullivan’s Island, and Fort Sumter.
With the increased popularity of Charleston among travelers, travel costs have started to rise. But there are many opportunities to save money while traveling to Charleston. Consider staying in neighborhoods outside the downtown area, like Mt. Pleasant. Accommodation prices are half the price than in the central district of the city while staying close to historical landmarks.
Mount Pleasant Pier gives a stunning view of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $113 per person
- Best For: Culture and food lovers
- Cheap Stays: Hotel Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston,Wyndham Garden Charleston Mount Pleasant
- Cheap Eats: Early Bird Diner, Gaulart & Maliclet Fast and French Inc., and Bertha’s Kitchen
4. Dallas, Texas
Dallas, as one of the top cheap vacation destinations in the US, is the cultural hub of this southern state. This modern city has a wide variety of attractions that are either free or come with budget-friendly prices.
Explore downtown Dallas and the art district with the M-Line trolley for free (consider supporting them with a donation.). Visit Dealey Plaza for a history lesson in the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
If rooftop pools and parties are your thing, be sure to check out the sunset at Statler’s rooftop.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $100 per person
- Best For: History buffs, modern travelers, foodies, and artists
- Cheap Stays: Courtyard by Marriott Dallas Northwest, Uptown Nook
- Cheap Eats: Off-Site Kitchen, Bubba’s, or Keller’s Drive-In
5. Memphis, Tennessee
Memphis is one of those cities that brings a person alive. After all, it’s the birthplace of rock ‘n’ roll and considered “The Home of the Blues.”
Go out for the night to Beale Street for some live music in its numerous restaurants and bars. Enjoy the Memphis atmosphere; it’s like nowhere else. Other things to see in Memphis include Elvis Presley’s Graceland, Sun Studio, the Rock ‘n’ Soul Museum, National Civil Rights Museum, and of course, the Mississippi River.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $70 per person
- Best For: Music fans
- Cheap Stays: Travelodge by Wyndham Memphis Airport/Graceland, Stay Alfred on Madison Avenue
- Cheap Eats: Cozy Corner Restaurant, Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken, or Maciel’s
6. Pensacola, Florida
Pensacola has a little bit of everything for a summer destination for travelers. It has beautiful pristine sandy beaches, historic downtown, naval aviation history, and makes for one of the best cheap vacations in the US.
As an early European settlement in the New World, Pensacola is excellent for history hounds. Be sure to check out the Pensacola Lighthouse to see Florida’s natural beauty. Or, attend a Blue Angels practice session, which is free to the public at the Naval Aviation Museum.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $77 per person
- Best For: Beach lovers, history buffs, architecture lovers
- Cheap Stays: Dunes on the Bay, White Sands Bay Front Pensacola Condo
- Cheap Eats: Tuscan Oven, Taqueria El Asador, or Hub Stacey’s Downtown
7. Princeville, Hawaii (Kauai)
High costs of accommodations, flights, and restaurant prices make vacationing in Hawaii difficult for budget travelers. But if Hawaii is on your bucket list, Princeville is an affordable travel destination in the U.S.
Princeville is on the north coastline on the Kauai island. It boosts with pristine sandy beaches, mesmerizing nature, and aquatic life. It’s the perfect place for those that want to snorkel, swim, or sunbathe.
Be sure to visit Queen’s Bath – a rock formed sinkhole from the Pacific Ocean – and take a swim.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $150 per person
- Best For: Beach and family vacations
- Cheap Stays: The ISO, Wyndham Bali Hai
- Cheap Eats: Hanalei Bay Pizzeria, Trucking Delicious
SEE ALSO: Sunny Islands to Visit in Winter
8. Rapid City, South Dakota
If you want to travel around the country on a budget and like the outdoors, Rapid City is the place to see. Most know it for the infamous monument Mount Rushmore of four American presidents carved into the rocky Black Hill Forest mountain. But Rapid City is a metropolis with plenty of taste and entertainment options from wine festivals, arts, and culture exhibits, and live music concerts.
Rapid City has beautiful lakes where you can relax and enjoy your vacation. For the adventure seekers, the Jewel Cave National Monument, the third-longest cave in the US, is open for exploring. There is also cycling, rock climbing, and natural twisted canyons for exploring at Badlands.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $95 per person
- Best For: Outdoors and nature lovers, family-friendly
- Cheap Stays: La Quinta by Wyndham Rapid City, Howard Johnson by Wyndham Rapid City
- Cheap Eats: The Gyro Hub, Blaze Pizza, or Ron’s Café
SEE ALSO: 7 Underrated Cities To Visit
9. Sedona, Arizona
Sedona is one of the cheapest cities to travel to in the US. It might be a desert town, but it has a breathtaking landscape. Travelers named it one of the most beautiful places in North America. Sedona earned this title due to its stunning countryside, like the Red Rock State Park.
Visit the Grand Canyon’s cousin – Oak Creek Canyon! If you are in for an adventure, hike up to Slide Rock in the canyon’s gorge. Slide Rock is a naturally formed waterslide, which is open for swimming, wading, and sliding.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $40 per person
- Best For: Hikers, nature lovers, family-friendly vacations
- Cheap Stays: Agave Garden, Harmony House Homestay
- Cheap Eats: Tortas De Fuego, Tamaliza, or Sedona Memories Bakery Café
10. Williamsburg, Virginia
If you are an American history lover, Williamsburg should be your top vacation choice. Downtown Williamsburg is where you’ll see the US colonial period via an open-air living museum. To walk around the colonial town is free. You need to buy tickets for attending events or entering buildings.
Take advantage of kid-friendly activities in colonial Williamsburg. Dressing up in a colonial costume or the Tavern Ghost Walk tour are great activities for the kiddos. For children who love adventure parks on their vacation, be sure to visit Busch Gardens. It includes rollercoasters, rides, and animal exhibits. Are you visiting in the summer? Then, take them to the water slide in Water Country USA waterpark in Williamsburg.
- Daily Budget: Starts at $90 per person
- Best For: History buffs, family-friendly vacations
- Cheap Stays: Red Roof Inn Williamsburg, The Historic Powhatan Resort By Diamond Resorts
- Cheap Eats: Rick’s Cheese Steak Shop, Shorty’s Diner, or Chopsticks Phở & Grill
Budget Travel in The USA – Final Thoughts
Everyone can enjoy traveling across the United States with our extensive list of budget-friendly locations. We have an idea to suit everyone’s taste. It doesn’t matter if you prefer partying, sunbathing, or camping. The U.S. has it all and won’t even drain your bank account.
Just pick a spot and pack your bags. The States are waiting for you!
Get inspired to travel and get deals by signing up to our newsletter.