Try Struklji in the heart of Ljubljana
Have you ever wondered what is the best and easiest way to taste local cuisine when you travel somewhere? Have you ever been worried that your budget and appetite won’t allow you to try only one or two things in total? Well, luckily for travelers that are passionate about food, the BiteMojo application is here to solve these issues for you.
As you may remember from my last blog post about tasting local Hungarian dishes with the Budapest food tour, BiteMojo is a concept that lets you book food tours in various cities worldwide. Just like I mentioned then, we were so happy with our food tour in Budapest that we decided to try the one in Ljubljana, Slovenia as well.
Two days after our Hungarian adventure, we headed to the capital of Slovenia to give their local specialties a try. Once again, we had an amazing experience and wanted to book a food tour for Zagreb as well; to our disappointment, such a tour is not yet on the BiteMojo offer.
Nonetheless, in this post, I am going to review the amazing A Tale of the River Ljubljana Food Tour. Additionally, I will quickly remind everyone what BiteMojo is and how it works; plus, will also provide certain tips for a better BiteMojo experience.
Well, since I have already provided my readers with an in-depth introduction to BiteMojo, here I’m only going to list certain facts for those unfamiliar with it.
- BiteMojo is a business that allows travelers worldwide to book food tours in certain cities including Tel Aviv, Budapest, Ljubljana, Rome, and Madrid;
- In order to use BiteMojo users must first download the BiteMojo app on their smartphone;
- Prior to being able to book a food tour, one must register via the app first;
- Users can browse food tours and check their price, length, and number of bites easily using the BiteMojo app;
- The price of each food tour depends on the number of bites you get. There are cheap options as well as more expensive ones;
- In order to be able to use an already booked food tour and claim bites, users must have an Internet connection;
- In addition to tasting the food, the interactive food tour also helps you discover hidden gems that are along your route.
Experiencing the Amazing A Tale of the River Ljubljana Food Tour
There are two Ljubljana food tours offered on BiteMojo; A Tale of the River was the one that caught our eye. As one can see in the food tour description, all the local cuisine bites in Ljubljana were around the Ljubljanica River.
This is actually the river that in a way divides the Old Town from the rest of the City, and we were very much interested in exploring that area. The app didn’t disappoint in this regard as it took us to many things that were already in our Ljubljana bucket list sights.
This time we knew better than to leave only three hours for the tour and therefore we started it around 12 PM. We had some delicious struklji, both sweet and savory, first. After enjoying the lovely day for a while, we decided that our second bite should be the prosciutto OR the bean vegan bite; as we were two we decided to taste both. As always, Milena enjoyed the one that had meat on it more, while I like the vegan option quite a lot.
We gave ourselves a bit space before heading to the third bite, which was a cheese or prosciutto platter with some local wine. Again, we tried both and both were awesome. The only issue here, I must complain, was the large number of wasps that couldn’t leave us alone. I don’t generally panic when there are wasps or bees, but these were just too aggressive for my taste. So, instead of enjoying the food I had to be extra careful not to get stung.
We had enough food and wanted some coffee; luckily, as we were rating all the bites in Budapest and Ljubljana, we collected enough bite credits in order to purchase a free bite.
We found a coffee shop called ČRNO ZRNO, where we could get cold brew or cortado; we claimed the bite and headed there. The guy working there, I’m guessing the owner, was incredibly nice and the coffee shop was just the cutest. We enjoyed a cup of cortado each and were ready for a desert.
Our fourth bite from the A Tale of the River Ljubljana Food Tour was delicious scoops of gelato or a Belgian waffle with three toppings. I went for the gelato and Milena got the waffle; we were both happy with what we got, even though it took us some time until we explained to the employee what BiteMojo is.
Almost half the day has passed, and we had two bites left. First, we went to try grilled sardines and then some meat tapas. The grilled sardines were perfect; they looked good and tasted even better. Same goes for the meat tapas, even though due to some misunderstanding I think we got only one bite even though we claimed one bite each in front of the employee.
With the meat tapas, our food and wine tasting of local Ljubljana food was over. However, we collected enough credits for a free bite yet again. Even though we were full, we decided to claim one last bite in Ljubljana – Honey Delight or Cheese and Pear Duet. Honey Delight or Cheese and Pear Duet is actually part of the second food tour in Ljubljana – “Old Town, New Vibe.”
This bite wasn’t in a restaurant or a bar to our surprise. This was actually a shop that sells local products like honey, spirits etc. The lady there was amazing, very helpful, and we got one of each. We liked what we tried so much that we even decided to purchase a few products from the shop. It was a really great ending to a delicious adventure.
Tips for a Smooth BiteMojo Experience
As promised, I want to finish this post with several tips for a smooth BiteMojo experience. We didn’t really know what to expect, even though there is a fair amount of details provided in the app. Therefore, I want to give you a better idea of what you need and what to do in certain situations in order to avoid disappointment or annoyance.
- Definitely wear comfortable shoes and check out the map before leaving for the tour just so you have an idea what part of the city you’re going to explore.
- Give yourself enough time to claim all the bites. Not all the bites are small and claiming them within two hours will often be impossible or even unpleasant.
- Claim bites in the order that suits you the most. We followed their route in Budapest and it was too much for us and it somehow didn’t make sense. In Ljubljana, we claimed bites as we wished, and the experience was much better.
- Always rate the bites and click “End Tour” AND rate the tour. This way you earn bite credits, which can later be used for claiming random bites worldwide.
- Don’t try to explain to employees what BiteMojo is. If they’re not familiar with it right away, just ask to speak to the manager or owner. These are the people who are most likely familiar with the concept and will serve you right away. We learned this the hard way in Budapest, so Ljubljana was somehow easier to deal with.
- Claim the last bite at least 30 minutes prior the shop/bar/restaurant closes in order to make sure they won’t close early. This happened to us in Budapest, when the lady closed 15 minutes early, and we never got our last bite. We didn’t mind it since we were extremely full and the bites are reusable for other locations, but if you are dead set on trying a place out give yourself enough time.
- Be patient with the BiteMojo application as it sometimes freezes; clicking randomly on the screen may result in clicking a wrong button and ending the tour or claiming a bite. Generally, it works great, so if it freezes just give it time to refresh.
- Sometimes the BiteMojo map doesn’t show your correct location. Therefore, pay attention to the photos provided for the bite as that is the best way to recognize the spot. Also, don’t hesitate to use Google Maps if the BiteMojo map says you’re there and you simply can’t find the place.
Well, that was everything I had to share with you regarding my BiteMojo Ljubljana food tour. Honestly, it was great to try something like that, despite certain issues I believe could be improved. We felt like little kids every time we claimed a bite and waited for it to be served.
It is a unique kind of adventure in which local experts have created an amazing culinary experience for you. Thus, instead of creating bucket lists and researching, you can simply follow a map and claim delicious bites knowing you’re doing the right thing.
If you love food and traveling, check out these two awesome posts as well: