We all know the world is our oyster, but when you think about it, that oyster is pretty huge. With so many countries, cities, and towns in the world, it can often be hard to whittle down your bucket list to a more manageable size. If you are looking for some overlooked cities in U.S. or Europe to visit for your next vacation, we have a great list below for you.
Jump to your section of choice:
- America’s Most Underestimated Cities
- Undervalued Destinations In Europe
- Overlooked Cities in Asia, Africa, and Australia
5 Most Underrated Cities In The US
1. Columbus, OH
The United States is full of incredible cities to explore, and many people opt for the obvious choices such as New York City or San Francisco. However, Columbus is one of my favorites. Not known as a tourist destination, it’s one of the most underrated cities in America, and makes for a great vacation in May.
Located in the state of Ohio, Columbus has often known for being a sleepy city, but that’s not true anymore. This growing metropolis offers travelers all sorts of adventures, from an impressive nightlife scene through to art galleries and museums that will keep you entertained for hours.
- Search for the best hotels in Columbus to stay on your vacation using Booking.
- Find the cheapest flights to Columbus.
- Get a quick bite at Condado.
- Go on a scavenger hunt walking tour to discover Columbus.
2. St. Louis, MO
How about a unique experience in the famous Gateway Arch by the legendary Eero Saarinen in St. Lous? This arch is a $380 million project with the surrounding park that took over five years to complete. Be sure to take a stroll through the 105-acre Laumeier Sculpture Park in the Sunset Hill neighborhood.
Love beer? Even if you don’t, visit the Anheuser-Busch Brewery. You will get to learn about American beer history, the state, and also get free samples at the end of the tour (21+).
- Find the best hotels in St. Louis.
- Search for the cheapest flights to St. Louis, Missouri.
- Get food at Blues City Deli.
- Gone on a distillery tour with tasting, and get whiskey tasting glasses as souvenirs at StilL 630 Distillery.
3. Portland, ME
If you want to experience European architecture in Europe, Portland is the place to go. Even though this is the most populous city in the state of Maine, it’s one of the underrated places to visit in the US. In Portland, enjoy one of the best restaurant experiences in converted warehouses on its pier, Victorian-era homes, and scenic mountain views from Western Promenade.
- Search for the best hotels in Portland.
- Find your flight to Portland.
- Try the famous Eventide Oyster Co. for its clam bakes and lobster rolls.
- Visit the Portland Museum of Art in Maine.
4. Destin, FL
Looking for the perfect summer vacation in America? Destin is an underestimated holiday spot on the emerald Florida coast. Once you see the beautiful bright green water and sandy beaches in Destin, it will become your number one family vacation place.
Plan to enjoy some water adventures, snorkeling, and sailing. There are even illusionists shows to attend to, or enjoy some good old pubs for a night out in Destin.
- Find affordable accommodation in Destin.
- Find cheapest flights from New York to Florida.
- Eat something at Moe’s Original Bar B Que.
- Enjoy an amazing and unique bowling experience at Uncle Buck’s Fishbowl and Grill.
5. Asheville, NC
If you love food, you will love the culinary-scene in Asheville. From southern recipes to worldwide influences, the gastronomy here is one of the best in the South. The nightlife in Asheville is not far behind. From 18+ craft beer breweries to the legendary music hall The Orange Peel, there is plenty to try and do to keep you busy in this U.S. city.
- Find cheap accommodation in Asheville.
- Find cheap flights for Travel.
- Grab a bite at Curate.
- Go on an Asheville Puzzle Walk and discover the city.
3 Underrated European Cities
6. Cagliari, Sardinia
According to The Secret Traveller blog at 1Cover, Sardinia is the kind of destination that nobody knows about. Although this is a shame, it’s probably best that this island stays a secret.
If you do want to explore this hidden gem, why not start with the only metropolitan city on the island? Sardinia’s capital Cagliari is one of the most underrated cities in Italy. It is a seaside town that does need to be seen to be believed. From the multi-colored houses to the bustling marina, and the roaming flamingos, it’s truly incredible.
- Search for the best places to stay in Sardinia.
- Find cheapest flights in the World.
- Get a quick bite at Vianello’s Sardinian Street Food.
7. Minsk, Belarus
Minsk is a city of two halves, but that’s what makes it so charming. On the one hand, you have hints of its Soviet past with dramatic squares, robust architecture, and museums packed full of fascinating history. On the other hand, you have a contemporary art scene filled with culture, galleries, and artisan coffee shops for when you need a much-needed break.
Don’t have this affordable European destination on your bucket list? You should add it now!
- Search for the best places to stay in Minska.
- Find cheap flights for Europe.
- Get a quick bite at Coffeevarium.
8. Lisbon, Portugal
There are so many European cities that people can’t wait to tick off of their bucket lists every year, including Barcelona, Milan, Paris, and Rome. However, many are missing out on the pure joys that some of the most underrated cities have to offer, such as Lisbon in Portugal.
Even though the Algrave region is one of the most beautiful places in the world, this coastal capital is boasting with pastel-colored buildings, a bustling entertainment district, and sleepy, historic villages on the outskirts. The turquoise waters are enough to keep you coming back year after year, too.
- Find the hotel for you in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Compare best flights for Travel.
- Get a quick bite at Juicy Lisboa or Landeau chocolate.
3 Underrated Cities in AAA
The triple-A here is for Asia, Africa, and Australia.
9. Busan, South Korea
When you think of South Korea, you probably think of bustling cities and beautiful temples. However, South Korea, as one of the most beautiful countries in the world, also offers various coastal towns to explore, and Busan is one of the best. In this hidden gem, you will find its golden sands and clean water.
It’s overlooked by imposing mountains in the background, making it a traveler’s dream. You’ll also be spoiled for choice when it comes to their temples too. It is still South Korea, after all!
- Find the best hotel for you in Busan.
- Find cheapest international flights in the World.
- Get a quick bite at Moomoo Burger – it’s a vegan delight!
10. Essaouira, Morocco
Morocco is one of the most incredible underrated destinations in the world, but there’s so much more to this country than just Marrakech and Fez. Essaouira is a historic walled city that stands on the edge of the ocean and captivates anyone who sets foot within the walls.
As a former set for the fantasy epic series Game of Thrones, it’s a destination you don’t want to miss. The best part of visiting Essaouira, it’s a budget-friendly destination. Make sure you also check out a traditional souk while you’re there, which is the kind of market that Morocco is so famous for.
- Search the best hotels in Essaouria.
- Find cheapest international flights to Africa.
- Get a quick bite at Taros Cafe Restaurant.
11. Canberra, Australia
Many people forget that Canberra is the capital of Australia, and it’s often skipped with Sydney or Melbourne. It shouldn’t be the case, its most beautiful cities in the world! This city may not have the beaches of Bondi or the architecture of Sydney, but it does have a charm that just won’t quit.
As well as having some of the trendiest coffee shops and bars in the country, Canberra also offers some of the most excellent museums and galleries. This city is one of those places that you don’t ever want to leave.
- Search the best hotels in Canberra.
- Find cheapest international flights to Australia.
- Get a quick bite at Grill’d Manuka.
Overlooked Cities In The World – Bottom Line
Although it can be easy to follow the crowd and book a vacation where countless others have been before, why not give somewhere else a try? There are so many underrated destinations around the world, and you should check them out as soon as possible.
All you need to do is pack your bags and go! Got any other suggestions to add to the list? Let us know on our Facebook page.
Get inspired to travel and get deals by signing up to our newsletter.